- Stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims; "He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage"; "Both sides have to give up some claims in these negotiations"
- Leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch; "The mother deserted her children"
- Leave behind empty; move out of; "You must vacate your office by tonight"
- Give up with the intent of never claiming again; "Abandon your life to God"; "She gave up her children to her ex-husband when she moved to Tahiti"; "We gave the drowning victim up for dead"
- Forsake, leave behind; "We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot"
- The trait of lacking restraint or control; reckless freedom from inhibition or worry; "she danced with abandon"
- A feeling of extreme emotional intensity; "the wildness of his anger"