- (adv.) In a higher place; overhead; into or from heaven; as, the clouds above.
- (adv.) Earlier in order; higher in the same page; hence, in a foregoing page.
- (adv.) Higher in rank or power; as, he appealed to the court above.
- (adv.) More than; as, above five hundred were present.
- (prep.) In or to a higher place; higher than; on or over the upper surface; over; -- opposed to below or beneath.
- (prep.) Figuratively, higher than; superior to in any respect; surpassing; beyond; higher in measure or degree than; as, things above comprehension; above mean actions; conduct above reproach.
- (prep.) Surpassing in number or quantity; more than; as, above a hundred. (Passing into the adverbial sense. See Above, adv., 4.)