- (a.) Of or pertaining to a species; characterizing or constituting a species; possessing the peculiar property or properties of a thing which constitute its species, and distinguish it from other things; as, the specific form of an animal or a plant; the specific qualities of a drug; the specific distinction between virtue and vice.
- (a.) Specifying; definite, or making definite; limited; precise; discriminating; as, a specific statement.
- (a.) Exerting a peculiar influence over any part of the body; preventing or curing disease by a peculiar adaption, and not on general principles; as, quinine is a specific medicine in cases of malaria.
- (a.) Anything having peculiar adaption to the purpose to which it is applied.
- (n.) A specific remedy. See Specific, a., 3.