Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Crossword Puzzle Solutions for: ?AIN?
- (a.) Dainty.
- (n.) Something of exquisite taste; a dainty.
- (n.) The act of fainting, or the state of one who has fainted; a swoon. [R.] See Fainting, n.
- (n.) To sink into dejection; to lose courage or spirit; to become depressed or despondent.
- (n.) To decay; to disappear; to vanish.
- (superl.) Lacking strength; weak; languid; inclined to swoon; as, faint with fatigue, hunger, or thirst.
- (superl.) Wanting in courage, spirit, or energy; timorous; cowardly; dejected; depressed; as, "Faint heart ne'er won fair lady."
- (superl.) Lacking distinctness; hardly perceptible; striking the senses feebly; not bright, or loud, or sharp, or forcible; weak; as, a faint color, or sound.
- (superl.) Performed, done, or acted, in a weak or feeble manner; not exhibiting vigor, strength, or energy; slight; as, faint efforts; faint resistance.
- (v. i.) To become weak or wanting in vigor; to grow feeble; to lose strength and color, and the control of the bodily or mental functions; to swoon; -- sometimes with away. See Fainting, n.
- (v. t.) To cause to faint or become dispirited; to depress; to weaken.
- Increase (one's body weight); "She gained 20 pounds when she stopped exercising"
- Increase or develop; "the peace movement gained momentum"; "the car gathers speed"
- Rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"
- Obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"
- Reach a destination, either real or abstract;
- Win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
- The amount of increase in signal power or voltage or current expressed as the ratio of output to input
- Earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; "How much do you make a month in your new job?"; "She earns a lot in her new job"; "this merger brought in lots of money"; "He c
- A contraction of have not or has not; as, I hain't, he hain't, we hain't.
- (n.) One of a numerous sect in British India, holding the tenets of Jainism.
- (n.) One of the New England States.
- (n.) The farm attached to a mansion house.
- American Revolutionary leader and pamphleteer (born in England) who supported the American colonist's fight for independence and supported the French Revolution (1737-1809)
- American Revolutionary leader and signer of the Declaration of Independence (1731-1814)
- (n.) Labor; toilsome effort; care or trouble taken; -- plural in form, but used with a singular or plural verb, commonly the former.
- (n.) A pigment or coloring substance.
- (n.) The same prepared with a vehicle, as oil, water with gum, or the like, for application to a surface.
- (n.) A cosmetic; rouge.
- (v. t.) To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to; as, to paint a house, a signboard, etc.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To color, stain, or tinge; to adorn or beautify with colors; to diversify with colors.
- (v. t.) To form in colors a figure or likeness of on a flat surface, as upon canvas; to represent by means of colors or hues; to exhibit in a tinted image; to portray with paints; as, to paint a portrait or a landscape.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To represent or exhibit to the mind; to describe vividly; to delineate; to image; to depict.
- (v. t.) To practice the art of painting; as, the artist paints well.
- (v. t.) To color one's face by way of beautifying it.
- Precipitate as rain; "If it rains much more, we can expect some flooding"
- Anything happening rapidly or in quick successive; "a rain of bullets"; "a pelting of insults"
- Water falling in drops from vapor condensed in the atmosphere
- Drops of fresh water that fall as precipitation from clouds
- (a.) Abounding with rain; wet; showery; as, rainy weather; a rainy day or season.
- (n.) A person sanctified; a holy or godly person; one eminent for piety and virtue; any true Christian, as being redeemed and consecrated to God.
- (n.) One of the blessed in heaven.
- (n.) One canonized by the church.
- (v. i.) To act or live as a saint.
- (v. t.) To make a saint of; to enroll among the saints by an offical act, as of the pope; to canonize; to give the title or reputation of a saint to (some one).
- (n.) A thrust with a lance, which fails of its intended effect.
- (n.) An injury done to a lance in an encounter, without its being broken; also, a breaking of a lance in an encounter in a dishonorable or unscientific manner.
- (n.) Tincture; hue; color; tinge.
- (n.) Infection; corruption; deprivation.
- (n.) A blemish on reputation; stain; spot; disgrace.
- (v. i.) To thrust ineffectually with a lance.
- (v. i.) To be infected or corrupted; to be touched with something corrupting.
- (v. i.) To be affected with incipient putrefaction; as, meat soon taints in warm weather.
- (v. t.) To injure, as a lance, without breaking it; also, to break, as a lance, but usually in an unknightly or unscientific manner.
- (v. t.) To hit or touch lightly, in tilting.
- (v. t.) To imbue or impregnate with something extraneous, especially with something odious, noxious, or poisonous; hence, to corrupt; to infect; to poison; as, putrid substance taint the air.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To stain; to sully; to tarnish.
- Large open farm wagon
- A group of seven bright stars in the constellation Ursa Major
- English writer (1925-1994)