- (a.) Being between the two extremes; middle; interposed; intervening; intermediate.
- (a.) Acting by means, or by an intervening cause or instrument; not direct or immediate; acting or suffering through an intervening agent or condition.
- (a.) Gained or effected by a medium or condition.
- (a.) To be in the middle, or between two; to intervene.
- (a.) To interpose between parties, as the equal friend of each, esp. for the purpose of effecting a reconciliation or agreement; as, to mediate between nations.
- (v. t.) To effect by mediation or interposition; to bring about as a mediator, instrument, or means; as, to mediate a peace.
- (v. t.) To divide into two equal parts.