- (a.) Contraction of Skimming and Skimmed.
- (v. i.) To pass lightly; to glide along in an even, smooth course; to glide along near the surface.
- (v. i.) To hasten along with superficial attention.
- (v. i.) To put on the finishing coat of plaster.
- (v. t.) To clear (a liquid) from scum or substance floating or lying thereon, by means of a utensil that passes just beneath the surface; as, to skim milk; to skim broth.
- (v. t.) To take off by skimming; as, to skim cream.
- (v. t.) To pass near the surface of; to brush the surface of; to glide swiftly along the surface of.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To read or examine superficially and rapidly, in order to cull the principal facts or thoughts; as, to skim a book or a newspaper.