- (n.) A gripe or clinching with, or as with, the fingers or claws; seizure; grasp.
- (n.) The hands, claws, or talons, in the act of grasping firmly; -- often figuratively, for power, rapacity, or cruelty; as, to fall into the clutches of an adversary.
- (n.) A device which is used for coupling shafting, etc., so as to transmit motion, and which may be disengaged at pleasure.
- (n.) Any device for gripping an object, as at the end of a chain or tackle.
- (n.) The nest complement of eggs of a bird.
- (n.) To seize, clasp, or gripe with the hand, hands, or claws; -- often figuratively; as, to clutch power.
- (n.) To close tightly; to clinch.
- (v. i.) To reach (at something) as if to grasp; to catch or snatch; -- often followed by at.