- (a.) Not harmful; free from that which can injure; innoxious; innocuous; harmless; as, an innocent medicine or remedy.
- (a.) Morally free from guilt; guiltless; not tainted with sin; pure; upright.
- (a.) Free from the guilt of a particular crime or offense; as, a man is innocent of the crime charged.
- (a.) Simple; artless; foolish.
- (a.) Lawful; permitted; as, an innocent trade.
- (a.) Not contraband; not subject to forfeiture; as, innocent goods carried to a belligerent nation.
- (n.) An innocent person; one free from, or unacquainted with, guilt or sin.
- (n.) An unsophisticated person; hence, a child; a simpleton; an idiot.