- (n.) Any plane surface, as of the floor of a room or church, or of the ground within an inclosure; an open space in a building.
- (n.) The inclosed space on which a building stands.
- (n.) The sunken space or court, giving ingress and affording light to the basement of a building.
- (n.) An extent of surface; a tract of the earth's surface; a region; as, vast uncultivated areas.
- (n.) The superficial contents of any figure; the surface included within any given lines; superficial extent; as, the area of a square or a triangle.
- (n.) A spot or small marked space; as, the germinative area.
- (n.) Extent; scope; range; as, a wide area of thought.