- (n.) That which is preserved; fruit, etc., seasoned and kept by suitable preparation; esp., fruit cooked with sugar; -- commonly in the plural.
- (n.) A place in which game, fish, etc., are preserved for purposes of sport, or for food.
- (v. i.) To make preserves.
- (v. i.) To protect game for purposes of sport.
- (v. t.) To keep or save from injury or destruction; to guard or defend from evil, harm, danger, etc.; to protect.
- (v. t.) To save from decay by the use of some preservative substance, as sugar, salt, etc.; to season and prepare for remaining in a good state, as fruits, meat, etc.; as, to preserve peaches or grapes.
- (v. t.) To maintain throughout; to keep intact; as, to preserve appearances; to preserve silence.