- (v. i.) To give directions; to dictate.
- (v. i.) To influence by long use
- (v. i.) To write or to give medical directions; to indicate remedies; as, to prescribe for a patient in a fever.
- (v. i.) To claim by prescription; to claim a title to a thing on the ground of immemorial use and enjoyment, that is, by a custom having the force of law.
- (v. t.) To lay down authoritatively as a guide, direction, or rule of action; to impose as a peremptory order; to dictate; to appoint; to direct.
- (v. t.) To direct, as a remedy to be used by a patient; as, the doctor prescribed quinine.