- (v. i.) The act of freezing; -- applied chiefly to the congelation of water; congelation of fluids.
- (v. i.) The state or temperature of the air which occasions congelation, or the freezing of water; severe cold or freezing weather.
- (v. i.) Frozen dew; -- called also hoarfrost or white frost.
- (v. i.) Coldness or insensibility; severity or rigidity of character.
- (v. t.) To injure by frost; to freeze, as plants.
- (v. t.) To cover with hoarfrost; to produce a surface resembling frost upon, as upon cake, metals, or glass.
- (v. t.) To roughen or sharpen, as the nail heads or calks of horseshoes, so as to fit them for frosty weather.