- (n.) A essay, trial, or endeavor; an undertaking; an attack, or an effort to gain a point; esp. an unsuccessful, as contrasted with a successful, effort.
- (v. i.) To make an attempt; -- with upon.
- (v. t.) To make trial or experiment of; to try; to endeavor to do or perform (some action); to assay; as, to attempt to sing; to attempt a bold flight.
- (v. t.) To try to move, by entreaty, by afflictions, or by temptations; to tempt.
- (v. t.) To try to win, subdue, or overcome; as, one who attempts the virtue of a woman.
- (v. t.) To attack; to make an effort or attack upon; to try to take by force; as, to attempt the enemy's camp.