- (n.) An official diviner who foretold events by the singing, chattering, flight, and feeding of birds, or by signs or omens derived from celestial phenomena, certain appearances of quadrupeds, or unusual occurrences.
- (n.) One who foretells events by omens; a soothsayer; a diviner; a prophet.
- (v. i.) To conjecture from signs or omens; to prognosticate; to foreshow.
- (v. i.) To anticipate, to foretell, or to indicate a favorable or an unfavorable issue; as, to augur well or ill.
- (v. t.) To predict or foretell, as from signs or omens; to betoken; to presage; to infer.