- (n.) An act of kindness; a favor conferred.
- (n.) Whatever promotes prosperity and personal happiness, or adds value to property; advantage; profit.
- (n.) A theatrical performance, a concert, or the like, the proceeds of which do not go to the lessee of the theater or to the company, but to some individual actor, or to some charitable use.
- (n.) Beneficence; liberality.
- (n.) Natural advantages; endowments; accomplishments.
- (v. i.) To gain advantage; to make improvement; to profit; as, he will benefit by the change.
- (v. t.) To be beneficial to; to do good to; to advantage; to advance in health or prosperity; to be useful to; to profit.