- (n.) A forked support; a crotch.
- (n.) A time note, with a stem, having one fourth the value of a semibreve, one half that of a minim, and twice that of a quaver; a quarter note.
- (n.) An indentation in the glacis of the covered way, at a point where a traverse is placed.
- (n.) The arrangement of a body of troops, either forward or rearward, so as to form a line nearly perpendicular to the general line of battle.
- (n.) A bracket. See Bracket.
- (n.) An instrument of a hooked form, used in certain cases in the extraction of a fetus.
- (n.) A perverse fancy; a whim which takes possession of the mind; a conceit.
- (v. i.) To play music in measured time.