- Lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"
- Make vapid or deprive of spirit; "deadened wine"
- Cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients; "girdle the plant"
- Convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
- Make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; "Terror blunted her feelings"; "deaden a sound"
- Become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- Make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"