- (v. t.) To break to pieces; to shatter.
- (v. t.) To break up; to disperse; to scatter; to dissipate; to drive away; -- said especially of tumors.
- (v. t.) To shake; to put away; to finish.
- (v. t.) To examine in detail or by disputation; to reason upon by presenting favorable and adverse considerations; to debate; to sift; to investigate; to ventilate.
- (v. t.) To deal with, in eating or drinking.
- (v. t.) To examine or search thoroughly; to exhaust a remedy against, as against a principal debtor before proceeding against the surety.