- (n.) (Pronounced, in this sense, ////.) Natural capacity; ability; skill.
- (n.) Anything used to effect a purpose; any device or contrivance; an agent.
- (n.) Any instrument by which any effect is produced; especially, an instrument or machine of war or torture.
- (n.) A compound machine by which any physical power is applied to produce a given physical effect.
- (v. t.) To assault with an engine.
- (v. t.) To equip with an engine; -- said especially of steam vessels; as, vessels are often built by one firm and engined by another.
- (v. t.) (Pronounced, in this sense, /////.) To rack; to torture.