- (n.) The state of being beside one's self or rapt out of one's self; a state in which the mind is elevated above the reach of ordinary impressions, as when under the influence of overpowering emotion; an extraordinary elevation of the spirit, as when the soul, unconscious of sensible objects, is supposed to contemplate heavenly mysteries.
- (n.) Excessive and overmastering joy or enthusiasm; rapture; enthusiastic delight.
- (n.) Violent distraction of mind; violent emotion; excessive grief of anxiety; insanity; madness.
- (n.) A state which consists in total suspension of sensibility, of voluntary motion, and largely of mental power. The body is erect and inflexible; the pulsation and breathing are not affected.
- (v. t.) To fill ecstasy, or with rapture or enthusiasm.