- (n.) Entreaty.
- (v. i.) To treat or discourse; hence, to enter into negotiations, as for a treaty.
- (v. i.) To make an earnest petition or request.
- (v. t.) To treat, or conduct toward; to deal with; to use.
- (v. t.) To treat with, or in respect to, a thing desired; hence, to ask earnestly; to beseech; to petition or pray with urgency; to supplicate; to importune.
- (v. t.) To beseech or supplicate successfully; to prevail upon by prayer or solicitation; to persuade.
- (v. t.) To invite; to entertain.