- (a.) Chosen; taken by preference from among two or more.
- (a.) Chosen as the object of mercy or divine favor; set apart to eternal life.
- (a.) Chosen to an office, but not yet actually inducted into it; as, bishop elect; governor or mayor elect.
- (n.) One chosen or set apart.
- (n.) Those who are chosen for salvation.
- (v. t.) To pick out; to select; to choose.
- (v. t.) To select or take for an office; to select by vote; as, to elect a representative, a president, or a governor.
- (v. t.) To designate, choose, or select, as an object of mercy or favor.