- Call to mind; "this remark evoked sadness"
- Summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic; "raise the specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the air"; "call down the spirits from the mountain"
- Deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning); "We drew out some interesting linguistic data from the native informant"
- Evoke or provoke to appear or occur; "Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple"
- Call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"