- (n.) An organ for secreting something to be used in, or eliminated from, the body; as, the sebaceous glands of the skin; the salivary glands of the mouth.
- (n.) An organ or part which resembles a secreting, or true, gland, as the ductless, lymphatic, pineal, and pituitary glands, the functions of which are very imperfectly known.
- (n.) A special organ of plants, usually minute and globular, which often secretes some kind of resinous, gummy, or aromatic product.
- (n.) Any very small prominence.
- (n.) The movable part of a stuffing box by which the packing is compressed; -- sometimes called a follower. See Illust. of Stuffing box, under Stuffing.
- (n.) The crosspiece of a bayonet clutch.