- (n.) The larva of an insect, especially of a beetle; -- called also grubworm. See Illust. of Goldsmith beetle, under Goldsmith.
- (n.) A short, thick man; a dwarf.
- (n.) Victuals; food.
- (v. i.) To dig in or under the ground, generally for an object that is difficult to reach or extricate; to be occupied in digging.
- (v. i.) To drudge; to do menial work.
- (v. t.) To dig; to dig up by the roots; to root out by digging; -- followed by up; as, to grub up trees, rushes, or sedge.
- (v. t.) To supply with food.