- (v. i.) To form a plot or scheme; to contrive to accomplish a purpose by secret artifice.
- (v. i.) To carry on a secret and illicit love or amour.
- (v. i.) Intricacy; complication.
- (v. i.) A complicated plot or scheme intended to effect some purpose by secret artifice; conspiracy; stratagem.
- (v. i.) The plot or romance; a complicated scheme of designs, actions, and events.
- (v. i.) A secret and illicit love affair between two persons of different sexes; an amour; a liaison.
- (v. t.) To fill with artifice and duplicity; to complicate; to embarrass.