- (a.) Lying; resting; reclining; recumbent; superimposed; superincumbent.
- (a.) Lying, resting, or imposed, as a duty or obligation; obligatory; always with on or upon.
- (a.) Leaning or resting; -- said of anthers when lying on the inner side of the filament, or of cotyledons when the radicle lies against the back of one of them.
- (a.) Bent downwards so that the ends touch, or rest on, something else; as, the incumbent toe of a bird.
- (n.) A person who is in present possession of a benefice or of any office.