- (v. i.) To indulge one's self; to gratify one's tastes or desires; esp., to give one's self up (to); to practice a forbidden or questionable act without restraint; -- followed by in, but formerly, also, by to.
- (v. t.) To be complacent toward; to give way to; not to oppose or restrain
- (v. t.) to give free course to; to give one's self up to; as, to indulge sloth, pride, selfishness, or inclinations;
- (v. t.) to yield to the desire of; to gratify by compliance; to humor; to withhold restraint from; as, to indulge children in their caprices or willfulness; to indulge one's self with a rest or in pleasure.
- (v. t.) To grant as by favor; to bestow in concession, or in compliance with a wish or request.