- (interj.) Indeed ! in truth ! -- a term of asseveration said to have been derived from the practice of swearing by the Virgin Mary.
- (v. i.) To enter into the conjugal or connubial state; to take a husband or a wife.
- (v. t.) To unite in wedlock or matrimony; to perform the ceremony of joining, as a man and a woman, for life; to constitute (a man and a woman) husband and wife according to the laws or customs of the place.
- (v. t.) To join according to law, (a man) to a woman as his wife, or (a woman) to a man as her husband. See the Note to def. 4.
- (v. t.) To dispose of in wedlock; to give away as wife.
- (v. t.) To take for husband or wife. See the Note below.
- (v. t.) Figuratively, to unite in the closest and most endearing relation.