- (a.) Of the color of the sable's fur; dark; black; -- used chiefly in poetry.
- (n.) A carnivorous animal of the Weasel family (Mustela zibellina) native of the northern latitudes of Europe, Asia, and America, -- noted for its fine, soft, and valuable fur.
- (n.) The fur of the sable.
- (n.) A mourning garment; a funeral robe; -- generally in the plural.
- (n.) The tincture black; -- represented by vertical and horizontal lines crossing each other.
- (v. t.) To render sable or dark; to drape darkly or in black.