- Bearing a stress or accent; "an iambic foot consists of an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable as in `delay'"
- Put stress on; utter with an accent; "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
- Suffering severe physical strain or distress; "he dropped out of the race, clearly distressed and having difficulty breathing"
- To stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
- Test the limits of; "You are trying my patience!"