Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on a result to view its definition, and more!
Crossword Puzzle Solutions for: S?AR
- (n.) A mark in the skin or flesh of an animal, made by a wound or ulcer, and remaining after the wound or ulcer is healed; a cicatrix; a mark left by a previous injury; a blemish; a disfigurement.
- (n.) A mark left upon a stem or branch by the fall of a leaf, leaflet, or frond, or upon a seed by the separation of its support. See Illust.. under Axillary.
- (n.) An isolated or protruding rock; a steep, rocky eminence; a bare place on the side of a mountain or steep bank of earth.
- (n.) A marine food fish, the scarus, or parrot fish.
- (v. i.) To form a scar.
- (v. t.) To mark with a scar or scars.
- (a.) Alt. of Sere
- (a.) To wither; to dry up.
- (a.) To burn (the surface of) to dryness and hardness; to cauterize; to expose to a degree of heat such as changes the color or the hardness and texture of the surface; to scorch; to make callous; as, to sear the skin or flesh. Also used figuratively.
- (n.) The catch in a gunlock by which the hammer is held cocked or half cocked.
- (a.) Alt. of Skare
- (v. i.) To snarl.
- (a.) See 3d Sore.
- (a.) See Sore, reddish brown.
- (n.) The act of soaring; upward flight.
- (v. i.) To fly aloft, as a bird; to mount upward on wings, or as on wings.
- (v. i.) Fig.: To rise in thought, spirits, or imagination; to be exalted in mood.
- (n.) An old name for a nonmetallic mineral, usually cleavable and somewhat lustrous; as, calc spar, or calcite, fluor spar, etc. It was especially used in the case of the gangue minerals of a metalliferous vein.
- (n.) A contest at sparring or boxing.
- (n.) A movement of offense or defense in boxing.
- (v. i.) To strike with the feet or spurs, as cocks do.
- (v. i.) To use the fists and arms scientifically in attack or defense; to contend or combat with the fists, as for exercise or amusement; to box.
- (v. i.) To contest in words; to wrangle.
- (v. t.) A general term any round piece of timber used as a mast, yard, boom, or gaff.
- (v. t.) Formerly, a piece of timber, in a general sense; -- still applied locally to rafters.
- (v. t.) The bar of a gate or door.
- (v. t.) To bolt; to bar.
- (v. t.) To To supply or equip with spars, as a vessel.
- (n.) One of the innumerable luminous bodies seen in the heavens; any heavenly body other than the sun, moon, comets, and nebulae.
- (n.) The polestar; the north star.
- (n.) A planet supposed to influence one's destiny; (usually pl.) a configuration of the planets, supposed to influence fortune.
- (n.) That which resembles the figure of a star, as an ornament worn on the breast to indicate rank or honor.
- (n.) Specifically, a radiated mark in writing or printing; an asterisk [thus, *]; -- used as a reference to a note, or to fill a blank where something is omitted, etc.
- (n.) A composition of combustible matter used in the heading of rockets, in mines, etc., which, exploding in the air, presents a starlike appearance.
- (n.) A person of brilliant and attractive qualities, especially on public occasions, as a distinguished orator, a leading theatrical performer, etc.
- (v. i.) To be bright, or attract attention, as a star; to shine like a star; to be brilliant or prominent; to play a part as a theatrical star.
- (v. t.) To set or adorn with stars, or bright, radiating bodies; to bespangle; as, a robe starred with gems.