- (n.) That which, issuing from a body, affects the olfactory organs of animals; odor; smell; as, the scent of an orange, or of a rose; the scent of musk.
- (n.) Specifically, the odor left by an animal on the ground in passing over it; as, dogs find or lose the scent; hence, course of pursuit; track of discovery.
- (n.) The power of smelling; the sense of smell; as, a hound of nice scent; to divert the scent.
- (v. i.) To have a smell.
- (v. i.) To hunt animals by means of the sense of smell.
- (v. t.) To perceive by the olfactory organs; to smell; as, to scent game, as a hound does.
- (v. t.) To imbue or fill with odor; to perfume.