- (n.) The juice of plants of any kind, especially the ascending and descending juices or circulating fluid essential to nutrition.
- (n.) The sapwood, or alburnum, of a tree.
- (n.) A simpleton; a saphead; a milksop.
- (n.) A narrow ditch or trench made from the foremost parallel toward the glacis or covert way of a besieged place by digging under cover of gabions, etc.
- (v. i.) To proceed by mining, or by secretly undermining; to execute saps.
- (v. t.) To subvert by digging or wearing away; to mine; to undermine; to destroy the foundation of.
- (v. t.) To pierce with saps.
- (v. t.) To make unstable or infirm; to unsettle; to weaken.