- (a.) Mean; dirty; contemptible; scrubby.
- (n.) One who labors hard and lives meanly; a mean fellow.
- (n.) Something small and mean.
- (n.) A worn-out brush.
- (n.) A thicket or jungle, often specified by the name of the prevailing plant; as, oak scrub, palmetto scrub, etc.
- (n.) One of the common live stock of a region of no particular breed or not of pure breed, esp. when inferior in size, etc.
- (v. i.) To rub anything hard, especially with a wet brush; to scour; hence, to be diligent and penurious; as, to scrub hard for a living.
- (v. t.) To rub hard; to wash with rubbing; usually, to rub with a wet brush, or with something coarse or rough, for the purpose of cleaning or brightening; as, to scrub a floor, a doorplate.