- (n.) A cormorant.
- (n.) An article of dress of a light and decorative character, worn loosely over the shoulders or about the neck or the waist; a light shawl or handkerchief for the neck; also, a cravat; a neckcloth.
- (n.) In a piece which is to be united to another by a scarf joint, the part of the end or edge that is tapered off, rabbeted, or notched so as to be thinner than the rest of the piece.
- (n.) A scarf joint.
- (v. t.) To throw on loosely; to put on like a scarf.
- (v. t.) To dress with a scarf, or as with a scarf; to cover with a loose wrapping.
- (v. t.) To form a scarf on the end or edge of, as for a joint in timber, metal rods, etc.
- (v. t.) To unite, as two pieces of timber or metal, by a scarf joint.