- Give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- Let something be known; "Tell them that you will be late"
- Narrate or give a detailed account of; "Tell what happened"; "The father told a story to his child"
- Give evidence; "he was telling on all his former colleague"
- Express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- Inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- Mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
- Discern or comprehend; "He could tell that she was unhappy"