Click or tap here to find out how this works
Stuck on a crossword puzzle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: CONSTANTINOPLE
- the second ecumenical council in 381 which added wording about the Holy Spirit to the Nicene Creed
- the fifth ecumenical council in 553 which held Origen's writings to be heretic
- the sixth ecumenical council in 680-681 which condemned Monothelitism by defining two wills in Christ, divine and human
- the council in 869 that condemned Photius who had become the patriarch of Constantinople without approval from the Vatican, thereby precipitating the schism between the eastern and western churches
- the largest city and former capital of Turkey; rebuilt on the site of ancient Byzantium by Constantine I in the fourth century; renamed Constantinople by Constantine who made it the capital of the Byzantine Empire; now the seat of the Eastern Orthodox Church
- Former istanbul