Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ABACUS
- (n.) A table or tray strewn with sand, anciently used for drawing, calculating, etc.
- (n.) A calculating table or frame; an instrument for performing arithmetical calculations by balls sliding on wires, or counters in grooves, the lowest line representing units, the second line, tens, etc. It is still employed in China.
- (n.) The uppermost member or division of the capital of a column, immediately under the architrave. See Column.
- (n.) A tablet, panel, or compartment in ornamented or mosaic work.
- (n.) A board, tray, or table, divided into perforated compartments, for holding cups, bottles, or the like; a kind of cupboard, buffet, or sideboard.