Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ABDICATE
- (v. i.) To relinquish or renounce a throne, or other high office or dignity.
- (v. t.) To surrender or relinquish, as sovereign power; to withdraw definitely from filling or exercising, as a high office, station, dignity; as, to abdicate the throne, the crown, the papacy.
- (v. t.) To renounce; to relinquish; -- said of authority, a trust, duty, right, etc.
- (v. t.) To reject; to cast off.
- (v. t.) To disclaim and expel from the family, as a father his child; to disown; to disinherit.