- A form of the pat tense of Bid.
- (imp.) of Bid
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ABED
- (adv.) In bed, or on the bed.
- (adv.) To childbed (in the phrase "brought abed," that is, delivered of a child).
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A prayer.
- (n.) A little perforated ball, to be strung on a thread, and worn for ornament; or used in a rosary for counting prayers, as by Roman Catholics and Mohammedans, whence the phrases to tell beads, to at one's beads, to bid beads, etc., meaning, to be at prayer.
- (n.) Any small globular body
- (n.) A bubble in spirits.
- (n.) A drop of sweat or other liquid.
- (n.) A small knob of metal on a firearm, used for taking aim (whence the expression to draw a bead, for, to take aim).
- (n.) A small molding of rounded surface, the section being usually an arc of a circle. It may be continuous, or broken into short embossments.
- (n.) A glassy drop of molten flux, as borax or microcosmic salt, used as a solvent and color test for several mineral earths and oxides, as of iron, manganese, etc., before the blowpipe; as, the borax bead; the iron bead, etc.
- (v. t.) To ornament with beads or beading.
- (v. i.) To form beadlike bubbles.