Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: ABSTRACTION
- (a.) The act of abstracting, separating, or withdrawing, or the state of being withdrawn; withdrawal.
- (a.) The act process of leaving out of consideration one or more properties of a complex object so as to attend to others; analysis. Thus, when the mind considers the form of a tree by itself, or the color of the leaves as separate from their size or figure, the act is called abstraction. So, also, when it considers whiteness, softness, virtue, existence, as separate from any particular objects.
- (a.) An idea or notion of an abstract, or theoretical nature; as, to fight for mere abstractions.
- (a.) A separation from worldly objects; a recluse life; as, a hermit's abstraction.
- (a.) Absence or absorption of mind; inattention to present objects.
- (a.) The taking surreptitiously for one's own use part of the property of another; purloining.
- (a.) A separation of volatile parts by the act of distillation.