Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ACCESSION
- (n.) A coming to; the act of acceding and becoming joined; as, a king's accession to a confederacy.
- (n.) Increase by something added; that which is added; augmentation from without; as, an accession of wealth or territory.
- (n.) A mode of acquiring property, by which the owner of a corporeal substance which receives an addition by growth, or by labor, has a right to the part or thing added, or the improvement (provided the thing is not changed into a different species). Thus, the owner of a cow becomes the owner of her calf.
- (n.) The act by which one power becomes party to engagements already in force between other powers.
- (n.) The act of coming to or reaching a throne, an office, or dignity; as, the accession of the house of Stuart; -- applied especially to the epoch of a new dynasty.
- (n.) The invasion, approach, or commencement of a disease; a fit or paroxysm.