- (v. t.) To pursue for the purpose of killing or taking, as an enemy, or game; to hunt.
- (v. t.) To follow as if to catch; to pursue; to compel to move on; to drive by following; to cause to fly; -- often with away or off; as, to chase the hens away.
- (v. t.) To pursue eagerly, as hunters pursue game.
- (v. i.) To give chase; to hunt; as, to chase around after a doctor.
- (v.) Vehement pursuit for the purpose of killing or capturing, as of an enemy, or game; an earnest seeking after any object greatly desired; the act or habit of hunting; a hunt.
- (v.) That which is pursued or hunted.
- (v.) An open hunting ground to which game resorts, and which is private properly, thus differing from a forest, which is not private property, and from a park, which is inclosed. Sometimes written chace.
- (v.) A division of the floor of a gallery, marked by a figure or otherwise; the spot where a ball falls, and between which and the dedans the adversary must drive his ball in order to gain a point.
- (n.) A rectangular iron frame in which pages or columns of type are imposed.
- (n.) The part of a cannon from the reenforce or the trunnions to the swell of the muzzle. See Cannon.
- (n.) A groove, or channel, as in the face of a wall; a trench, as for the reception of drain tile.
- (n.) A kind of joint by which an overlap joint is changed to a flush joint, by means of a gradually deepening rabbet, as at the ends of clinker-built boats.
- (v. t.) To ornament (a surface of metal) by embossing, cutting away parts, and the like.
- (v. t.) To cut, so as to make a screw thread.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ACHES
- A dull persistent (usually moderately intense) pain
- Have a desire for something or someone who is not present; "She ached for a cigarette"; "I am pining for my lover"
- Feel physical pain; "Were you hurting after the accident?"
- Be the source of pain