- (n.) A seat for a rider, -- usually made of leather, padded to span comfortably a horse's back, furnished with stirrups for the rider's feet to rest in, and fastened in place with a girth; also, a seat for the rider on a bicycle or tricycle.
- (n.) A padded part of a harness which is worn on a horse's back, being fastened in place with a girth. It serves various purposes, as to keep the breeching in place, carry guides for the reins, etc.
- (n.) A piece of meat containing a part of the backbone of an animal with the ribs on each side; as, a saddle of mutton, of venison, etc.
- (n.) A block of wood, usually fastened to some spar, and shaped to receive the end of another spar.
- (n.) A part, as a flange, which is hollowed out to fit upon a convex surface and serve as a means of attachment or support.
- (n.) The clitellus of an earthworm.
- (n.) The threshold of a door, when a separate piece from the floor or landing; -- so called because it spans and covers the joint between two floors.
- (v. t.) To put a saddle upon; to equip (a beast) for riding.
- (v. t.) Hence: To fix as a charge or burden upon; to load; to encumber; as, to saddle a town with the expense of bridges and highways.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ADDLES
- Become rotten; "addled eggs"
- Mix up or confuse; "He muddled the issues"