- (n.) One who, or that which, heads nails, rivets, etc., esp. a machine for heading.
- (n.) One who heads a movement, a party, or a mob; head; chief; leader.
- (n.) A brick or stone laid with its shorter face or head in the surface of the wall.
- (n.) In framing, the piece of timber fitted between two trimmers, and supported by them, and carrying the ends of the tailpieces.
- (n.) A reaper for wheat, that cuts off the heads only.
- (n.) A fall or plunge headforemost, as while riding a bicycle, or in bathing; as, to take a header.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: ADHERE
- (v. i.) To stick fast or cleave, as a glutinous substance does; to become joined or united; as, wax to the finger; the lungs sometimes adhere to the pleura.
- (v. i.) To hold, be attached, or devoted; to remain fixed, either by personal union or conformity of faith, principle, or opinion; as, men adhere to a party, a cause, a leader, a church.
- (v. i.) To be consistent or coherent; to be in accordance; to agree.