Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: ADOPTS
- Take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables"
- Take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholicism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"
- Put into dramatic form; "adopt a book for a screenplay"
- Take up and practice as one's own
- Choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans; "She followed the feminist movement"; "The candidate espouses Republican ideals"
- Take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities; "When will the new President assume office?"
- Take into one's family; "They adopted two children from Nicaragua"