- (a.) Wanting the sense of hearing, either wholly or in part; unable to perceive sounds; hard of hearing; as, a deaf man.
- (a.) Unwilling to hear or listen; determinedly inattentive; regardless; not to be persuaded as to facts, argument, or exhortation; -- with to; as, deaf to reason.
- (a.) Deprived of the power of hearing; deafened.
- (a.) Obscurely heard; stifled; deadened.
- (a.) Decayed; tasteless; dead; as, a deaf nut; deaf corn.
- (v. t.) To deafen.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (a.) Weak; insipid; tasteless; commonplace.
- (a.) To become fade; to grow weak; to lose strength; to decay; to perish gradually; to wither, as a plant.
- (a.) To lose freshness, color, or brightness; to become faint in hue or tint; hence, to be wanting in color.
- (a.) To sink away; to disappear gradually; to grow dim; to vanish.
- (v. t.) To cause to wither; to deprive of freshness or vigor; to wear away.