Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: AFFECTION
- (n.) The act of affecting or acting upon; the state of being affected.
- (n.) An attribute; a quality or property; a condition; a bodily state; as, figure, weight, etc. , are affections of bodies.
- (n.) Bent of mind; a feeling or natural impulse or natural impulse acting upon and swaying the mind; any emotion; as, the benevolent affections, esteem, gratitude, etc.; the malevolent affections, hatred, envy, etc.; inclination; disposition; propensity; tendency.
- (n.) A settled good will; kind feeling; love; zealous or tender attachment; -- often in the pl. Formerly followed by to, but now more generally by for or towards; as, filial, social, or conjugal affections; to have an affection for or towards children.
- (n.) Prejudice; bias.
- (n.) Disease; morbid symptom; malady; as, a pulmonary affection.
- (n.) The lively representation of any emotion.
- (n.) Affectation.
- (n.) Passion; violent emotion.