Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: AFFIRMATIVE
- (a.) Confirmative; ratifying; as, an act affirmative of common law.
- (a.) That affirms; asserting that the fact is so; declaratory of what exists; answering "yes" to a question; -- opposed to negative; as, an affirmative answer; an affirmative vote.
- (a.) Positive; dogmatic.
- (a.) Expressing the agreement of the two terms of a proposition.
- (a.) Positive; -- a term applied to quantities which are to be added, and opposed to negative, or such as are to be subtracted.
- (n.) That which affirms as opposed to that which denies; an affirmative proposition; that side of question which affirms or maintains the proposition stated; -- opposed to negative; as, there were forty votes in the affirmative, and ten in the negative.
- (n.) A word or phrase expressing affirmation or assent; as, yes, that is so, etc.